History of our school

Currajong State School was opened on 28 June, 1954 with an enrolment of 240 pupils, grades 1-8, and 5 teachers. The original building is now part of C block. The enrolment rose to approximately 1150 at one stage before the construction of Vincent and Heatley State Schools in the 1970’s. It is predicted the enrolment in 2014 will be approximately 625 (which includ​es 4 Prep classes).

The first acting headmaster was Mr J. Gibbard, replaced by the first permanent headmaster Mr Con Klein in 1955.  The school's general condition in 1954 was described as "Very fair with definite promise of improvement". The craft work of the day was 'poker work, the making of tin ornaments and plastic plaiting'. The students were described as large in number, from different schools with very varied standards of attainment and behaviour. 

By 1960 the enrolment had increased to 674 students, and an interesting excerpt from the school inspection report that year claims that school equipment included 900 library items, a duplicator and weather recording equipment. In 1963 milk distribution was introduced and 'well supervised'. There was a uniform redesign, and an interesting remark was noted by the school inspection that a 'peculiarity in voice modulation noted during the last inspection has disappeared from all grades except grade 4'. 

The Currajong Tattler was a school newspaper distributed in 1972 and 1973.  Teachers wrote editorials but the whole school community provided the articles. Interesting to note that pollution was on the agenda in Vol 4 1972 - "when your parents and other adults were young this land of ours seemed so vast that we could not imagine it being spoilt by human hands.  We could go for a drive (very special) or a picnic and we wouldn't see any sign that anyone had been there before. Is this so now? No!!! Perhaps because there are many, many, more people and many more cars and may delicious foodstuffs all in disposable packages!!! What can we do?" 

School Colours - Apparently when the school first opened and mention was made of school colours Mr Jack Gibbard sent a pupil out to see what colours the Public Works had painted the school sign.  Back came the pupil with "blue and black".  So we have our colours.  Blue Black Blue - Always True to You. 

Currajong led the way with a school camping program where yearly camps were held at Pangola stud, Fanning river cattle station, Atherton tablelands, Paluma, Bowen, Whitsundays and Winton. 

To finish - an old Currajong war cry:

Curra Curra jonger jonger, 

What a healthy crew,

Surra turra surra turra,

Always true to you.

Higher higher longer longer,

See what we can do.

Currajong Currajong

Blue, black, blue


History of our sports houses

Young House 

Young House was named to honour Richard (Dick) Young who was the second Principal of Currajong State School. He held this position for 16 years until his retirement in 1979. During his term as Principal, Currajong State School became one of the largest and most influential schools in North Queensland.

Sport, particularly Hockey and Cricket, played an important part in his life.

Dick Young’s belief in the development of the whole child is reflected today in many of the skills encouraged at Currajong, such as high academic standards, acceptable social behaviour, artistic pursuits, performing arts, as well as sporting prowess.

Chandler House

Chandler House was named in honour of Noel Chandler, a teacher at Currajong State School for 10 years. He was tragically killed on Christmas Eve 1974 whilst returning from his Bowling Club.

Besides being a dedicated teacher, Noel excelled at sport and coached Rugby League, Cricket, Hockey and Athletics teams. Noel was a member of the Parks Hockey Club and after playing with them for many years became their coach.

Party Dances form a continuing memorial to Noel, as through his enthusiasm and skill as an instructor, these became so successful that they still form part of Currajong’s social calendar for pupils. The stone cairn and plaque with the commemorative grove of trees form part of Currajong’s memorial to Noel. The Noel Chandler Shield for Boys is presented at the annual Interschool Sports Carnival.

Bell House

Bell House was named in honour of Owen Bell who was Acting Headteacher when Currajong State School opened in 1954. He saw it grow to one of the largest Primary Schools in Townsville, and was its Deputy Principal for 21 years until his retirement in 1976.

During his term as Deputy Principal this gentlemanly bachelor was highly respected and well loved by children and staff. His skill as a raconteur of traditional folklore was appreciated at many staff functions. He was interested in all facets of children’s development, and encouraged excellence in academic and sporting skills.

Weckert House

Weckert House was named in honour of Sophie Weckert who was a staff member at Currajong State School. She was a South Australian trained teacher who loved teaching and above all - children. Her dedication to teaching was reflected in her willingness to help all children.

She excelled in many aspects of sport, and she was influential in the formation of the Townsville Netball Association. Outside of school hours she was an avid skydiver. She and her husband were tragically killed whilst on their way to Rockhampton for skydiving commitments in March 1975. The stone cairn and plaque with the commemorative grove of trees form part of Currajong’s memorial to Sophie. The A Grade Schools compete for the Sophie Weckert Memorial Shield for girls at the Annual Interschool Sports.​​​

Last reviewed 19 March 2020
Last updated 19 March 2020